Every year in America:
- 15-20 children under the age of 11 die from window falls.
- 15,000 children are injured as a result of window falls.
- Lock all unopened windows.
- Open windows from the top down if possible.
- Keep toys and climbable furniture such as beds and sofas away from windows.
- Install window stops to prevent windows from opening more than 4 inches.
- Don't rely on window screens to protect your child: screens are designed to keep bugs out, not children in.
- Install window guards with a quick-release feature for emergencies: Window guards are metal bars installed in the bottom half of windows and spaced 4 inches or less apart. They are designed to withstand up to 150 lbs of pressure and should be used on windows 12 ft or higher off the ground.
- Plant shrubs or place other soft materials outside under windows to cushion potential falls.
- Monitor window safety anywhere your child visits.
Appears in: Infant Safety Tips